Good morning from Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota, Florida. Of all the stadiums we’ve traveled to this spring, the O’s park by far has my favorite press box. It’s nothing fancy, just simple. Plus there is no windows and it’s open and makes you feel like you’re sitting in the stands like everyone else. I like that. Jet Blue Park, aka Fenway South, is my favorite ballpark tho. The green monster and stadium is set up just like the real Fenway.
- The Pirates will face the Baltimore Orioles today at 1:05. Right-hander James McDonald will face righty Jake Arietta.
- McDonald, 27, is making his third start of the Grapefruit League this spring. He is scheduled to throw four innings today. McDonald looked sharp his last start against the Phillies on Thursday. He allowed one run on two hits over three innings with a strikeout.
- Following McDonald in relief are: Joel Harahan, Jason Grilli, Evan Meek and Jared Hughes.
- Pirates lineup vs. O’s:
Alex Presley 7
Jose Tabata 9
Andrew McCutchen 8
Neil Walker 4
Garrett Jones 3
Pedro Alvarez 5
Clint Barmes 6
Michael McKenry 2
James McDonald 2
- Orioles lineup vs. Bucs: Endy Chavez 9, J.J Hardy 6, Nick Markakis DH, Matt Wieters 2, Adam Jones 8, Nick Johnson 3, Mark Reynolds 3, Nolan Reimold 7, Roberto Andino 4
- Catcher Rod Barajas’ wife had a baby girl last night at 7:11 PM. They named the little girl Starlette. Barajas is expected to arrive back in Bradenton today, work out on Thursday and return to the lineup on Friday.
- The Pirates are scheduled to face the Minnesota Twins at in Fort Myers at 1:05 tomorrow. Lefty Jo-Jo Reyes will start for the Bucs against right-hander Terry Dole. Following Reyes are: Chris Leroux, Juan Cruz, Daniel Cabrera, Shairon Marits and Doug Slaten.
- Lefty Erik Bedard will start and throw four innings at Pirate City tomorrow for a Triple-A game.
- I talked to right-hander Kyle McPherson today and he said he is fine. McPherson will throw a bullpen session today, and go from there. He was scratched from his outing on Monday due to ‘dead arm like symptoms.’
- The starting pitchers have tossed 10.0 scoreless innings over the last four games, and have been charged with just one earned run in their last 19.2 innings of work.
- Odds and ends: Pedro Alvarez has homered twice in his last four games. Juan Cruz has made four scoreless appearances this spring. Jason Grilli has not surrendered a hit in his first three outings (three innings). Josh Harrison has reached base safely seven times in his first 11 plate appearances. Starling Marte has eight hits in his last 12 at-bats. Andrew McCutchen has six hits in his last 14 at-bats. Casey McGehee has four hits in his last seven at-bats. Nate McLouth has hit safely in five of his last six games.