Good morning from McKechnie Field in Bradenton, Fla. In case you missed yesterdays recap, the Bucs pounded out a spring-high 19 hits in a 17-6 beating over the Minnesota Twins on Thursday in Fort Myers. Garrett Jones went 3-for-4 with a double, home run (2) and four RBI. Alex Presley went 3-for-4 with a double, homer and three runs scored. Matt Hague had three hits on the day, including his second home run of the spring.
The Pirates have no collected 10 or more hits in eight of their last 10 games.
- The Pirates will face the Philadelphia Phillies at 1:05 today. Right-hander Kevin Correia will be on the bump against lefty Cliff Lee.
- Correia will be making his third spring start. He has yet to give up a run over his two outings giving up two hits over 5.0 innings with three walks and one strikeout.
- Following Correia in relief today are: Evan Meek, Justin Wilson, Daniel Moskos, Kyle McPherson and Bryan Morris.
- Pirates lineup vs. Phillies:
- The Pirates have another home game tomorrow. They will play the Tampa Bay Rays at 1:05 in McKechnie Field. Right-hander Jeff Karstens will face righty James Shields. Joel Hanrahan, Jason Grilli and Ryota Igarashi will follow Karstens in relief.
- On Sunday, the Pirates will have two games. The Grapefruit League game will be in Fort Myers at 1:05 PM. They will also have a ‘B’ game at Pirate city against the Twins at 10 AM. Right-hander Brad Lincoln will pitch the ‘B’ game.
- From yesterday:
- Phillies lineup today vs. Bucs: Juan Pierre 9, Scott Podsednik 8, Hunter Pence DH, John Mayberry Jr. 3, Michael Martinez 7, Pete Orr 5, Brian Schneider 2, Kevin Frandsen 4, Freddy Glavis 6
- Notes: Jason Grilli has not surrendered a hit in his first four outings (4.0 IP); Matt Hague has four hits in his last six at-bats; Josh Harrison has reached base safely in 11 times in his first 17 plate appearances; Garrett Jones has five hits and a walk among his last seven plate appearances; Staring Marte has nine hits in his last 16 at-bats; Andrew McCutchen has eight hits in his last 19 at-bats; Casey McGehee has six hits in his last 11 at-bats; Nate Mclouth has hit safely in five of his last six games; Alex Presley has hit safely in seven of his first nine games; Tim Wood has recorded a win and a save among his three scoreless appearances this spring.